FindMusicPlx! -:- Fórum -:- BETA!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reviews Thread

4 posters

Go down

Reviews Thread  Empty Reviews Thread

Post  StepsInADance Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Welcome to the reviews thread!
Trunks gave the idea about 2 days ago and we have decided to go with it and now I'm starting it with my very first review (he should be working on some reviews on his own as well)

Ok so this is how it's going to work
Every time anyone makes a review post it as a new topic, then pm me and I'll edit this post to include a link to the review
that way this thread will basically be a data base for all reviews
that way each review thread is cleaner and only has comments concerning that review

and don't be shy you're all welcome to post your own reviews and give constructive criticism
and always remember everyone has their own opinion so there's no need to insult anyone who doesn't share your personal opinion

Anberlin - Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place (StepsInADance)
In this thread

Woe, Is Me - Number[s] (StepsInADance)
In this thread

Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! (StepsInADance)
https://findmusicplx.forumeiros.com/music-discussion-f8/attack-attack-attack-attack-review-t135.htm#799

Last edited by StepsInADance on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:40 am; edited 5 times in total
StepsInADance
StepsInADance
Rockr
Rockr

Back to top Go down

Reviews Thread  Empty Re: Reviews Thread

Post  Trunks Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 pm

great review! like i said to you, i guess Dark Is The Way is a great job, but it hardly will be better than Cities.

guys, i'd like to know, would you prefer one review per thread or a thread with all reviews?
the good thing about one rv per thread is that you all can give your opinion without messing up the thread and we can organize it all later, creating a reviews list.
Trunks
Trunks
tr00!
tr00!

Back to top Go down

Post  DjDesign Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Topic Fixed. Razz
DjDesign
DjDesign

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001160311945

Back to top Go down

Post  StepsInADance Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Well here goes my second review
since it's for Woe, Is Me hopefully more people will become more interested in this thread
as it has been pretty dead XD
oh and thanks to DjDesign for fixing this topic

Woe, Is Me - Number[s]
August 31, 2010
Rise/Velocity
Rating: 7/10

The metalcore genre has been pretty stale lately. This has been a problem since 2007 The Devil Wears Prada released their sophomore album Plagues and every other band decided to copy or make their own spin on the aforementioned album. Which leads us to one of these bands Atlanta, Georgia's Woe, Is Me who signed to Rise/Velocity Records off a few demos and a cover of Ke$ha's massive hit "Tik Tok". Several scenesters and critics didn't exactly appreciate the band's sudden rise to popularity, but the music should speak for itself.

Now after only a little over half a year of forming, Woe, Is Me has released their debut full-length Number[s], so how is it? Well for starters the band is reminiscent of a heavier Of Machines (not a surprise as drummer Austin Thornton played drums for Of Machines before departing to start Woe, Is Me) but unlike their fellow Georgians, Woe, Is Me employs more breakdowns and synth lines rather than riffs and electronic programming. The band while awfully generic do have 3 aspects (or members) who bring a ray of talent to the music. First keyboardist Ben Ferris adds an interesting layer to the otherwise bland breakdowns (see: [&] Delinquents), clean singer Tyler Carter has legitimate talent as a vocalist and compliments screamer Michael Bohn quite nicely, but the most entertaining aspect of the band is drummer Austin Thornton who shows off talent not seen in Of Machines's debut, and provides a drum performance not necessarily expected of bands in this genre.

However the album is not just filled with positives. The guitars seem to lose themselves in an array of keyboard lines, drumming, and seem to work only for the breakdowns making them one of the more forgettable aspects of the band. Michael Bohn's performance while not necessarily bad is not up to par with other screamers in the scene. The lyrics which follow a theme of self-examination and the true nature of the human being (which are a breath of fresh air in a scene plagued with Christian lyrics and songs about partying) are nothing special and times even get pretentious. Not to mention the album includes two songs which feature Jonny Craig (Our Number[s] and Desolate [The Conductor]) which should add some versatility, instead they feature a completely forgettable performance by Jonny Craig, in fact it would be almost impossible to realize that he is in the songs if it weren't for the album's liner notes.

In conclusion Woe, Is Me have released a debut that is neither bad or anything special. The band has played it safe, although it does have it's moments of brilliance which show that the band has the talent to improve drastically and release a satisfying follow-up. However as of now Number[s] warrants a few spins, nothing else, nothing more.

well there it goes
hopefully this gets people talking (or talking smack about me) Razz

Last edited by StepsInADance on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
StepsInADance
StepsInADance
Rockr
Rockr

Back to top Go down

Post  Trunks Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm

another great review! let me take my opinion ..

"However the album is not just filled with positives. The guitars seem to lose themselves in an array of keyboard lines, drumming, and seem to work only for the breakdowns"

TOTALLY aggreed. the guitars just doesn't seem to follow the rest of the instruments and/or effects, making some songs a little bit boring, repetitive and not so bright as they should be. the breakdowns are really cool, but they're somehow repetitive too.

"Michael Bohn's performance while not necessarily bad is not up to par with other screamers in the scene"

i heard he's one of the best in the scene, 'cause his live performances are stunning.

"Not to mention the album includes two songs which feature Jonny Craig (Our Number[s] and Desolate [The Conductor]) which should add some versatility"

actually, i guess Jonny Craig's featuring was only worth in "Our Number[s]", in Desolate, was totally unecessary. btw, jonny craig is getting repetitive, he's making participations in almost all new post-hardcore bands. that's just getting old ...

"In conclusion Woe, Is Me have released a debut that is neither bad or anything special. The band has played it safe, although it does have it's moments of brilliance which show that the band has the talent to improve drastically and release a satisfying follow-up. However as of now Number[s] warrants a few spins, nothing else, nothing more."

aggreed again. if not for the repetitive guitars (or maybe with some more production, a different style for guitars, dunno), they could have shine brighter. i was expecting a lot from that band and i missed something from the album. but i also aggree that the band has talent to grow and improve.
Trunks
Trunks
tr00!
tr00!

Back to top Go down

Post  StepsInADance Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Trunks wrote:another great review! let me take my opinion ..

"However the album is not just filled with positives. The guitars seem to lose themselves in an array of keyboard lines, drumming, and seem to work only for the breakdowns"

TOTALLY aggreed. the guitars just doesn't seem to follow the rest of the instruments and/or effects, making some songs a little bit boring, repetitive and not so bright as they should be. the breakdowns are really cool, but they're somehow repetitive too.

"Michael Bohn's performance while not necessarily bad is not up to par with other screamers in the scene"

i heard he's one of the best in the scene, 'cause his live performances are stunning.

"Not to mention the album includes two songs which feature Jonny Craig (Our Number[s] and Desolate [The Conductor]) which should add some versatility"

actually, i guess Jonny Craig's featuring was only worth in "Our Number[s]", in Desolate, was totally unecessary. btw, jonny craig is getting repetitive, he's making participations in almost all new post-hardcore bands. that's just getting old ...

"In conclusion Woe, Is Me have released a debut that is neither bad or anything special. The band has played it safe, although it does have it's moments of brilliance which show that the band has the talent to improve drastically and release a satisfying follow-up. However as of now Number[s] warrants a few spins, nothing else, nothing more."

aggreed again. if not for the repetitive guitars (or maybe with some more production, a different style for guitars, dunno), they could have shine brighter. i was expecting a lot from that band and i missed something from the album. but i also aggree that the band has talent to grow and improve.

I totally agree with the fact that production could have made the guitars stand out more
i feel like the Cameron Mizell really made the drums stand out (which might be why i thought they were so great)
which ended up making the guitars pretty much second fiddle to the drums

thanks for the feedback btw, hope to see a review from you soon
and for anyone who's interested (i doubt it's anyone) but I'll work on a review for the scarlett o'hara debut as soon as it leaks (or comes out)
StepsInADance
StepsInADance
Rockr
Rockr

Back to top Go down

Post  Trunks Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:28 am

a review on scarlett o'hara would be really nice.
i'm still thinking about which album i can review ..
btw, it would be better if this thread wasn't pinned, instead each review has its thread and then, we can make a list of albums already review'd and pin a thread with it
Trunks
Trunks
tr00!
tr00!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ronho! Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:29 am

wow, good reviews guys.
Ronho!
Ronho!
Admin
Admin

http://www.lastfm.com.br/user/Ronhoo

Back to top Go down

Post  StepsInADance Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:43 am

Trunks wrote:a review on scarlett o'hara would be really nice.
btw, it would be better if this thread wasn't pinned, instead each review has its thread and then, we can make a list of albums already review'd and pin a thread with it

well what I'll do is I'll edit the original post so that it contains an introduction and links to every review that gets posted and then just post the Anberlin review in this thread again
I'll start making new threads with each review that I make after this woe, is me review (no point in making new threads for reviews that have already been commented on)
unless you think that i should make a thread for the two reviews I've posted anyways
StepsInADance
StepsInADance
Rockr
Rockr

Back to top Go down

Post  StepsInADance Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:56 am

Anberlin - Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place
September 7,2010
Universal Republic
Rating: 10/10

It's been a good couple of years for Anberlin, they found success with their first major label release, 2008s New Surrender thanks to their single Feel Good Drag (which was a rerecording of The Feel Good Drag from their sophomore album Never Take Friendship Personal). The song was on the Billboard Alternative songs chart for 29 weeks straight, as well as being played during the MTV Movie Awards when the cast of New Moon went up to receive their award for "Best Movie". However New Surrender was not nearly as loved as 2007s spectacular release Cities, and fans never let them forget that. Which leads us to now and the big question is "Did Anberlin stay true to their Anberlin sound, or have they "sold out" and written a bunch of hit singles?" The answer is a little bit of both (minus the "selling out" part).

The album opens with "We Owe This to Ourselves" which is the ideal opener, it hooks the listener in upon first listen and shows that Anberlin are at their best musically, vocally, and lyrically. Next is the album's first single "Impossible", now I have to confess, when I first heard this song I was kind of iffy on how the album would turn out, however this song has definitely grown on me and if Universal promotes this song right it very well could be the hit single of the year. Songs like "Take Me (As You Found Me)" and "You Belong Here" showcase the band's ability to write quality radio-friendly songs. "To the Wolves" and "Depraved" display Anberlin's more aggressive side, but where Anberlin truly shines is when they are at their darkest and most vulnerable, such as in "Closer" "Pray Tell" and "Down". All three which are easily some of the best songs of 2010.

With Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place Anberlin shows fans that they are on top of their songwriting game, as Stephen Christian delivers an astonishing performance as he sings about the feelings brought upon by love and loss, however I've always said that Anberlin is much more than Stephen and his vocals, it is a sum of all of it's members and this album proves it as every single member plays their parts flawlessly.

Now as a reviewer I'm about to give more of a personal opinion that is acceptable but I feel like I need to say this
Is it better than Cities? Unfortunately I can't quite answer this yet as only time will tell, but it definitely has a good chance of becoming better than Cities.
Is it better than New Surrender? You bet it is (and I actually enjoyed New Surrender quite a lot).
Is it one of the best releases this year? It's much more than that, it is THE BEST album so far this year
In all honesty if there was any justice in the world Anberlin would be the biggest band in the world,
and with Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place, they have a pretty good shot at it.
StepsInADance
StepsInADance
Rockr
Rockr

Back to top Go down

Post  Trunks Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm

StepsInADance wrote:
Trunks wrote:a review on scarlett o'hara would be really nice.

well what I'll do is I'll edit the original post so that it contains an introduction and links to every review that gets posted and then just post the Anberlin review in this thread again
I'll start making new threads with each review that I make after this woe, is me review (no point in making new threads for reviews that have already been commented on)
unless you think that i should make a thread for the two reviews I've posted anyways

yeah, post only the new reviews in new threads .. let those in here (:
Trunks
Trunks
tr00!
tr00!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down